Beyond acceptance: Empowering LGBTQ allies to unpack microaggressions, disrupt implicit bias, and facilitate interpersonal healing.
Explicit attitudes of acceptance toward LGBTQ people have been steadily increasing over time. However, our community continues to endure marginalization through implicit bias which is invisible and expressed through daily interpersonal interactions. These microaggressions cause personal harm, perpetuate minority stress, and reinforce stigma. It is essential for allies to actively challenge and transform implicit bias that is expressed within interpersonal interactions so that restorative, affirmative, and equitable experiences are created for our community. Disrupting bias may not be easy, but is well worth the result of enhanced well-being, improved interpersonal relationships, and productive cultural shifts. This training will help you gain confidence in taking direct actions of solidarity that will help resist oppression, redistribute privilege, and support social justice.
- Define implicit bias and microaggressions.
- Make invisible perspectives visible: Recognize and identify cultural specific microaggressions and the implicit bias they express.
- Understand detrimental impacts, harm caused, and psychological dilemmas.
- Review common LGBTQ microaggression themes.
- Recognize microaggressions as an active manifestation of implicit bias and cultural oppression.
- Review and practice action steps to unpack microaggressions and disrupt implicit bias through self-awareness and accountability.
- Identify personal barriers to taking action, and review ways to overcome.
- Explore personal action plan to integrate microresistance into daily life.
This course meets qualifications for 3 BBS CEUs for LCSWs, MFTs, LPCCs, and LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences & is provided by Fred Finch Youth Center, CAMFT Provider #045295.
Cost: Free of charge
Date: Saturday, Oct. 20th at 3:00 – 6:10 pm
Registration Check In: 2:45 pm
Location: Oakland LGBTQ Center
3207 Lakeshore Ave, Oakland CA
Entrance on left side facing building on Rand Ave. Accessible via elevator.
training location details
Space Limited – To register please fill out the registration form below.